Friday, September 21, 2012

Burning man

Burning man was a reality check for me. A reminder that I'm not invincible. A reminder that I do suffer from a sometimes debilitating disease. And I didn't learn this lesson the easy way, either.

We arrived for "early entry" on Friday, after having spent the previous day in a car with minimal stretch breaks (mistake #1). We also arrived on the playa with mild food poisoning courtesy of the Sands Hotel in Reno. (Mistake #2). We then proceeded to work our asses off all weekend to set up camp. I carried lots of heavy stuff and busted my butt trying to be helpful (Mistake #3)

So, by the time the Burn week actually began, I was exhausted and sore. I didn't quite realize the magnitude of my exhaustion until
Thursday but I was definitely tired. (lesson learned: ask for help, do less physical labor, manage my pain better with meds). I thought I was pacing myself enough with sleep at night and daytime naps, but I was still exhausted. By Thursday, I was pretty exhausted and having a rough time. By Saturday, I was irrationally tired. Nothing sounded good, food (as it had been all week) and water were both hurting my stomach... I was snapping at Nathaniel, just plain no fun to be with. (lesson learned: when at the burn with a partner, plan separate nights/days out and if I'm tired at night, I suck it up and go to bed solo to avoid conflict!!!)

It was, overall, a good time. However, I learned some very hard lessons and am still trying to smooth the edges... Recourse for my actions. I've definitely had to do a lot of thinking, introspection, etc and had many conversations regarding how this could have been avoided and ways to prevent it from ever happening again.

I oftentimes forget how strong the symptoms of RA can get... And would rather ignore that I have it. Guess that's just not the right thing to do.

The ride there was fun....






The scenery was beautiful....




Finally "home"


One of our two main camp structures...



Our home for 11 days...



Outfits...

First day on the playa...


We got very dusty...


The temple was so amazingly beautiful...




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment