Saturday, January 8, 2011

the honesty trails

Today was an amazing 10 mile, hilly trail run with Jax. Not only was it the first long trail run of the season but it was our first "reflections of 2010" run in addition to our "goal setting 2011" run. We discussed some of the biggest "issues" of last year and concluded with a positive spin, and set goals and set the mission of the new year. All in all a phenomenal run. We discovered new trails (there are literally hundreds of miles of trail access from what's pretty much out backyard... a great new playground for the kids...and made self realizations that were necessary in order to begin the year on the right note.

This year, there will be a lot of changes in my life. This year, there will be great things to come.

During our run, we talked about who or what we were going to help...what we were going to accomplish...Jax said to me... "I think we need a project." Well, to us, a "project" is basically someone we wanted to take under our wing and support emotionally, with life, with training, etc.
My answer... "no, this year - we are our own projects. I have so many things that I want to accomplish, so much I need to change about myself...as do you." And so it started...the project.

Project US 2011... and anyone is free to join us in this quest, this "project." All you have to do is commit to make the changes in your own life. This year, I will be working on myself. (though, that's not to say I won't continue to make training plans for those of you who have asked, help support or encourage, or give advice to anyone who is wanting or needing it - and to some of you lucky ones - even when you're NOT asking for it... LOL)

Aside from the usual "lose weight," (and I really don't want to hear the standard "you're not fat" because per my PCM, I could stand to lose 15-20... ), "train smarter," "PR every race," "run faster," "swim more efficiently," and "ride like I stole it" - I have several goals on a more personal level - "finding the balance" "learning to love myself" "respecting myself as an ATHLETE" (and hell, while we're doing that, I should probably start SEEING myself as an athlete...)

There's just so much I want to find within myself this year. I want to go from being a self-proclaimed race defeatest (as in, when things don't go my way at a race, I basically give up - whether consciously or sub consciously) to being as resourceful at a race as I am in real life.

Do I have other goals? Of course. They involve my children, my husband, school, my friends, my family, etc... but that's not what this post is about... though I'll tell you this - I will no longer be the "pushover" with my children... though I will find effective and alternative ways to GENTLY discipline them and demonstrate proper behavior in the most effective way possible... but regardless, this post isn't about that... so I'll leave that for another day.

There was SO much more I wanted to write about... but it will have to wait for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment