Sunday, January 23, 2011

in today's news

Yesterday was the TCSD "celebrity" ride with some cycling and triathlon greats. It was also the same day as the Endurance Expo... we live in the mecca of amazing things. The ride was a lot of fun - I was in the company of John, Randi, Jax, Coach Andy, and others... it was social and a lot of fun. Afterwards, we hit up the Endurance Expo, which proved to be more like a "family reunion" with how many people we saw that comprise our "triathlon family." I feel so fortunate to live in a place that promotes health, fitness, community, etc. Afterwards, Randi and I had an awesome meal at Naked Cafe and finished out the day by adding an additional 22 miles to our 25.

... Today was the Carlsbad Half Marathon. In 2009, it was my very first half marathon. With Jax at my side, I trudged through the beautiful course in 2:18. Last year, it was my first solo half marathon... I trudged through the course in 2:15. This year, my coach had written a specific "workout" that was supposed to get accomplished... first third, easy... second third, race pace... third third... either easy or push it... Well, things were going as planned until about mile 5.5... it was then that the quad cramped like something fierce. It was all I could do to keep from crying but I trudged on, with Randi encouraging and prodding me to continue. It was not the race that I had hoped for... but I trudged through the course in 2:10. I guess I can't complain, I could have done far worse... but I probably could have done a lot better. Ah well, thank goodness for great friends, beautiful weather, and living in paradise.

In other news, Ellie has pneumonia and a double ear infection. Thankfully, it's "walking pneumonia" and she's hanging in there pretty well and is now on antibiotics and ear drops. Poor kiddo!!

I've also done a lot of thinking about future goals and activities and there will definitely be major changes coming in 2012. But for now, must keep trucking.

However, I will be planning something FUN for my FAMILY for this coming weekend. The last few weekends, I've been devoted 100% to training and spending so much time out of the house. Thinking of taking everyone pedal boating and paddle boarding on the bay, some picnicing, and teaching both girls to ride their two wheel bikes. Afterall, I gotta raise some triathletes, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment